Thursday 5 December 2013

Back to the Delkor Battery report card

I am like a car battery salesman, keep pushing the brand Delkor whenever and wherever I can.  Since my Honda City couldn't start yesterday, though the battery still good to power the light and alarm, just not good to crank the engine, the Delkor I had in this car lasted 1054 days, that is 2 years 10 months 19 days, with about 60,000km on it.  I paid RM220 for this in 2011, so it is about 21-cent per day.


So now, I bought a new Delkor, and it is now RM230, which is still more expensive than other brands, but the duration it will last is well worth the money.  For example, if you get a Yuasa, Yokohama, Bosch, Century or Panasonic which usually last 1.5 years if you were lucky, it will cost around RM170 - 220, that is about 31-cent per day in average, which is almost 10-cent more than the Delkor.  If you get a similar-price Century Ultramax at RM230, with 21-month warranty, it still has a shorter lifespan than the Delkor.

There are a lot of brands in the market now, including some from Korea.  UMW recently started distributing the brand, Solite, from Korea, which is cheap as well, but I believe not all batteries are created equally.  You could save some money from having other brand, but as I had written before, Delkor is not any battery, but a bunny that keep going and going.

P/S: Do not trust the battery inbuilt hydrometer.  This is just an estimate, but not accurate.  In my case, the battery is still good for all eletronics, but not for the engine crank!  Though I already felt the sluggishness of the battery few weeks back!