Wednesday 9 October 2013

CT200h, the Lexus Prius!


For additional RM30k from the Toyota Prius, you could upgrade your status to be a Lexus owner, joining people that enjoy luxury and the L brand!  The CT200h shares the same powertrain with the Prius, but if you want the luxury version, it will cost you almost RM198k, worth it or not, I will get a better car instead of the 98HP/142Nm unit, called me the tree-cutter, global warming contributor if you would.  Who told you the battery used in the hybrid is environment friendly?  How many companies in the world could safely recycle battery without causing global warming?



I was thinking of putting it in my shopping list, and yes, I like to be luxury, but the lousy treatment at the Lexus centre helped to put a red cross to the car.  Furthermore after comparing the standard and luxury version, I would save the RM30k if I wanted the standard version, or I would get the A-Class or 1-Series if I opted for the luxury version.


The luxury unit has a joystick at the centre console, and a big screen that popup, whereas the standard version below get nothing amazing.  The look of the CD player layout with a tiny screen just put me off.  A Lexus should be luxury, and owner should not compromise that.


The hatch does not look hot or sexy and it is time for Lexus to refresh it.  Not going to elaborate more on the CT200h, as I found people that buy it wanted a Lexus badly and this is the cheapest they could get, and it has Toyota as its backing, giving it top notch resale value.  However, used hybrid value is difficult to determine now, unlike Honda which has published the battery replacement price publicly, providing better comfort level of owning it.  Oh, by the way, > 60% of Lexus' sales are from the CT200h, making it a mass market car now, losing it luxury taste.